Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Some people in my culture annoy me...advice please!?

I'm Hispanic and didn't grow up near a lot Hispanics.


It was far and few, and these Hispanics.. were like me..they had assimilated and were their own identity, didn't automatically wan to be my BFF because I was Hispanic too, some have done that.*


The ones I grew near ..when I was much younger..


I have bad experiences with them, when I lived in a different state, then I grew up in. A lot of bad experiences with more than one.





I tend to not like being around them because of this.





I'm humble about my origins


I don't have a problem with Hispanics who can assimilate and


not be ignorant and assume I speak Spanish.***





I don't like the ones who think I speak Spanish because I'm Hispanic, try to talk in Spanish to me nor the ones who don't assimilate and try to act so ignorant and think America is their land, well the Mexicans.





I live in a state where the population isn't as big,





I'm about to have a culture shock, since I'm moving down to AZ for school.


I do I handle this?.


10 hours ago - 3 days left to answer.


Additional Details


10 hours ago





I speak Spanish if need be, but I hate it when Hispanics who are ignorant and assume I speak Spanish or care to interact with them because I'm Hispanic. I DON'T LIKE BEING FAKE..


SO I'M ASKING FOR ADVICE.








My BFF is Half -Mexican, so I'm not a bigot...just not a fan of certain Hispanics..


which tend to be ignorantSome people in my culture annoy me...advice please!?
Wow! 1st off I'm Hispanic too. I speak Spanish to everyone - black, white, green, yellow or brown. not ignorance - just ME! I have a close friend who was just like you when I met her in college. I kept telling her that no matter how hard you assimilate, how hard you try or how well you speak English in the eyes of America you're still just another ';Mexican'; with all of the perceived ignorance's that you see in your own people. You can run but you can't hide. You are what you are . It took my friend some time to see what I was talking about. She realized it when her Caucasian Husband's friends would invite him to dinner, but would ask that she not come; and she didn't even know how to speak Spanish. Good luck to you girl. I hope things work out different for you, but what are the odds?Some people in my culture annoy me...advice please!?
I'm glad you're level headed and not obsessed about your roots to the point of blatant racism (although never punished, or even acknowledged) like so many Hispanics and blacks in America. It really frustrates me.





I'm not sure how you can handle it, just stay level headed and humble and you'll be fine.
Instead of pursuing things that you only prefer, why not open your boundaries and look beyond how you want them to appear. You can't change someone but you can definitely accept them for who they are and who knows, they may actually turn out to be someone you didn't expect them to be.
youre moving? well start your own life. that is whats so nice about america. you can be who you want to be, regardless of your culture.
huh easy





DONT LET ANY PEOPLE ANNOY YOU YOU WILL BE VERY UNSTRONG HUMAN WANNA BE STRONG AND LET UR FAMILY NAME UP





take my advice it will help you in future
My impression of you is that you are someone who is picky about who you like and who you don't like. If you weren't hispanic it would be about some other sorts of people. This is okay - lots of people are particular in some way or another. My advice to you is not to judge yourself, but also not criticize the people you don't care for (at least not out loud). Just keep your eyes open for people who you could 'click' with and make friends with them. Don't send bad vibes to the others, but don't feel you have to be chummy to them either. Just keep to yourself and be polite to others. You will definitely find people you will get along with. Again - stay away from criticizing or badmouthing people that you don't like (even to your friends) - it will give you a 'rep' that you don't want to have. I'm sure you will find like-minded friends and you will do fine.





.
I'm Hispanic as well. You must have a very Latin looking appearance if people start talking to you in Spanish. There is NOTHING to be upset about, if they start talking to you in Spanish its because its easier for them to communicate with you in their language.


Latinos are generally friendly people we LOVE our culture and our people. There is NO need to be fake, all you have to do is to be honest and say you rather talk in English.


You should not judge people because of from what race they are ! Judge people for how they are as an individual (The ';Americans'; probably look at you and think (The Mexican Girl !)


I'm Cuban and dnt get offended if I get called Mexican girl. I'm not worth by where I was born.


If someone annoys you then simply do not deal with that particular person.


I live in NC and its full of Mexicans so I know how it feels to be around also I was born and grew up in Miami so I'm used to being with my Latinos.


GOOD LUCK !
1st of all, what do you mean by ';assimilate';???





I am 1/2 Latina and 1/2 anglo, and I kind of understand what you are saying...we all have our own experiences which leads to developing our own attitudes and ideas about life...and other people.


I have seen ignorance from most races and I can kind of understand why certain things get on your nerves (I too hate it when full blooded latinos give me shite for not being fluent, they almost ';look down'; on me!!) So, in my lifetime, I have been singled out for Either not being white enough, OR brown enough; but to associate all the ignorance and characteristics of shitty people to them being hispanic, isn't very smart. Stupid people and conformists get on my nerves. The fact that you choose to be an individual is cool, be yourself. What we are is what we are....where we come from has a lot to do with it, but just because you are hispanic doesn't mean you are going to have the same likes and interests, and Behaviors that other latinos carry!!


You should really try to avoid assuming all latinos are the same, and if you don't like being around certain people, don't go around them!


Racism doesn't discriminate...no matter where it comes from, it's just about ignorance.
I'm very sorry to hear that, but I know where you're coming from. I would recommend you avoid ignorant people. Try to hang out places where you won't run into people who will try to act like just because you have simillar skin tone you're family. I have a friend who has the same problem with Chinese people so she just doesn't speak Chinese in public. Maybe if you're just aloof you'll develop a reputation.


I think you'll be in for a pleasant surprise, though. Az has an established hispanic population that runs the gammut of socio-economic backgrounds. Chances are, in school, you won't run into as many ignorant people.

No comments:

Post a Comment