Friday, April 30, 2010

Ok, Question for all you car savvy people, please bless me with your advice.?

Alright, I have a Mercedes Bens 1999 ML-320


Now, recently I had a problem with the battery, it kept dieing and I would have to jump it. Finally I got sick of it and bought a new battery and it worked fine. Now the car worked fine until a friend asked me to jump him because he truck was dead, So I went ahead and jumped him....and his car really never caught, we did it for 20-30 minutes. Yes I know that was bad. Now the next morning I went to a funeral, and as I was leaving the funeral my car would not start, I figured I must have killed it from jumping him for so long. Turns out when I came back 15 minutes later, the battery started just fine. Now that car is starting to do it everytime I turn it off. All I have to do is try to start it, come back fifteen minutes later, and try it again and it starts. It really is starting to get annoying so if anyone could try and explain to me whats going on that would be great. Im logged on the instant messenger if its easier, I just really want to get this fixed without be pay-raped by a dealer.


Also, the car does not sound dead when I try to start it, It makes the noise that a car makes when you try to start it continuously, the Ri-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-h Until I stop it because I dont want my car to blow up or something lol.


Ok, Question for all you car savvy people, please bless me with your advice.?
If the car is cranking over quickly but not firing, then you have a problem with fuel or spark. So it would be unrelated to your new battery or that you jump-started your friend's truck.





There are a couple things you could try. Turn the key to the 'ON' position without actually starting the car, wait a few seconds (for the fuel pump to prime), then try starting the car. Or turn it to ON, wait a few seconds, turn the car off, then back to ON again (to cycle the fuel pump twice) then start the car.





It may help, then it may not. I once had a '90 Ford truck that would never start the first time I tried (it was fuel injected not carb or TBI just like your car is). I could crank that thing till the battery dies and it would never fire. The secret was to crank the motor a couple turns, let go of the key (back to the on position) then start again. The second time the truck would fire immediately no matter what the temperature. For some stupid reason it would never start on the first try.





Hope this helps some. Good luck. You may end up taking it to a shop for a fix...Ok, Question for all you car savvy people, please bless me with your advice.?
Ya want a serious piece of advice? Get rid of that clunker - it'd cost so bloody much to fix that you'd be better off walking!
I'd return the battery for exchange
The last paragraph is about the closest to what I can guess your problem is! I am assuming that the starter spins, but the engine does not turn over to start!





The sequence being-- ignition on, turn to crank(start),- starter ';cranks engine';,- engine starts, - engine running,,-- key released to ';run';! I think your sequence is stopping at point of ';cranking engine over';............ That is if I guess what you are trying to say right!





So lets assume that the starter drive is not ';engaging'; right!-- In which case the starter makes a noise, but it is a much faster rate of speed, and nothing at all happens with engine! --- This would be a bad starter drive! When it loses a little heat from area, it lets lubrication cool down inside the starter drive, and then it engages internally and turns the engine over. Which means that the ';flywheel'; the starter engages in makes the crankshaft on engine turn, which allows normal ';run'; situation to occur and engine then runs! (if the engine is all ok otherwise)! If this is the problem, it is just a ';stroke of luck'; that it happened at this time, instead of another time (causing you to link the two together)!





-----------------------


Now the first part sounded more like description of battery, or battery cable problems (or alternator)! -- In this scenario, you might be suffering from corroded battery cable problems, (but that would make entire electrical system go ';off'; while key was truned to crank). If alternator was no longer charging, - it would make lights go real dim when in crank position, and then come up some when key released (not enough charge left to turn the starter motor over)! If battery was damaged inside, it most likely would not ';re-connect'; after cooling down a little.








Now the starter drive is not a real expensive part! But first of all you have a Mercedes, so you are going to pay more labor rate for time involved, -- and if you go to Mercedes, they will probably try and sell you a whole starter to put in! And possibly it will actually cost a little less for them to do this, than to pay another hour or so in labor charge to take apart starter, and clean up,- check, and put new drive!


If you can do this youself, it would be a different situatuin, as you can buy a rebuilt one, put it on and be done with it (takes me about 1/2 hour to swap starter)! .... So lets say you are ';Freddie Fumbles'; and you waste an hour doing the job!





As for blowing anything up, I doubt that,-- but if it does not ';snap out'; of this in a few days, it will probably get worse, and someday will not work at all! ... And of course this is not a real good event either!
When jumping another vehicle your battery cables will heat up excessively. The cable ends on the will oxidize that may cause a poor connection. Remove the cables, clean ends %26amp; fully charge the battery. Load test the battery(12 volts @ 100 amps) If OK then reinstall the cables %26amp; attach a volt meter to battery. Start the engine Increase the RPM slightly. Volt meter should read around 14.5 volts. If reading is low then damage to the alternator occurred.





禄禄禄
  • refill
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment