Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Did/do you get sick of the parental advice given to you by people who's opinions you don't value?

I am about to have my first child in a few days and this guy I work with can not stop giving me advice on parenting!! He says things like, ';your gonna have to sell all your toys cause you won't be able to afford them anymore'; and ';once the babies here your gonna have to change the things you do';. This guy doesn't even know me, and he has been divorced like 3 times and kids strung out all around the country of all different ages!!! He isn't the only one that does this either. I really like hearing peoples advice like my parents or others that have been through it and I respect but not some know it all retard that brags about how many times he has been divorced!!!





Did anyone like this try to give advice and what did you do when someone tried to give you unwanted advice?Did/do you get sick of the parental advice given to you by people who's opinions you don't value?
Nothing attracts unwanted advice more than a pregnancy, newlyweds, or divorced people. You are going to come across people like this for the rest of your life. I honestly think this guy is trying to be helpful, even though he is not. Just tell him that you appreciate his advice, but you can take it from here. Whenever he starts to give advice change the subject really quickly. After awhile he will take the hint.Did/do you get sick of the parental advice given to you by people who's opinions you don't value?
It happened to me All the time! I just laughed and made jokes about what they said like I would have said ';man I hope I can get a good price out of all those toys'; or ';nah I ain't changing nothing (which i did) cause grandma already has a babysitting schedule'; ~ it shut them up every time!!! they think of new parents as young and stupid and they think we 'need' to hear what they did or we'll make the same mistakes they made!
At first it used to bother me. But now I am strong in my role as a mother to know that other people raise their kids in ways I would never raise my child. So next time this guy gives you bad advice, remind yourself, what an ill-fit father he is. It makes it easier to chuckle at his advice, at least inside.





And if that doesn't work, then I make a sort of joke of it to them, but without being a jerk. So if he said the ';sell the toys'; comment to me, I'd probably have said something like, ';Oh gosh no. I'll just keep buying toys for myself until we have them up the ying yang.'; Something that makes me laugh inside, and not take his comments so seriously.





You really will get way too much advice you don't want to hear. And you have to do what you can to let it roll of your back, while at the same time not being rude to these kind of people. Congrats by the way! You're going to love it! And no, you won't have to sell all your toys!
We had a new girl where I worked when I first found out I was pregnant. This being my first, I was really excited. Once she found out, she started telling me that I was going to hate my baby and that she has a 2 year old who she can't stand. She said I would either want to kill my child or kill myself just to get away.





It was horrible, but I just ignored her and walked away. I was sure not to mention my pregnancy to her again. She quit shortly after that so I didn't have to deal with it long.





Try telling him you appreciate the effort, but you would rather take advice from someone who has been successful in both parenting and intimate relationships.
Nope for I do not ask or seek advice from anyone who is just an aquantice..





I know that was spelled wrong but bere with me I am having terriable contrations at only 23 weeks!!





I would tell him thanks for the tips and if I need to ask something I will!!





Nip it in the butt so to say!!

No comments:

Post a Comment